Manmohan Singh Forms UID Council
Dr. Manmohan Singh
A new council has been formed for the Unique Identification Project of Indian government under its chairman, Nandan Nilekani. This committee that was created by the PM, Dr.anmohan Singh, is for providing advice to UID and for ensuring an enhanced coordination among ministers, stakeholders and partners.
"The council is expected to advice the UIDAI on the programme, methodology and implementation to ensure coordination between ministries, departments, stakeholders and partners," said a release from the Prime Minister's Office.
This committee will identify the specific milestones so that UID projected as be completed at its earliest.
The main task of the authority would be to create a database that will help in issuing unique identity cards.
Members of the newly appointed council are
- Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee
- Agriculture, Food and Civil Supplies Minister Sharad Pawar
- Home Minister P. Chidambaram
- External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna
- Law and Justice Minister M. Veerappa Moily
- Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal
- Rural Development & Panchayati Raj Minister C.P. Joshi
- Labour and Employment Minister Mallikarjun Kharge
- Communications and Information Technology Minister A. Raja
- Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia and
- UIDAI chairman Nandan Nilekani.